This is an original creation. I love gingersnap and apple crumble but finding a recipe to bring the two together proved impossible. Finally I decided to invent one and it turned out great!. There are so many different types of crumble out there that you really have to search and pick the one that is right for you.
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of ground up gingersnap cookies
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup of unsalted butter (salted is ok too)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 cups peeled and sliced apples*
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup of water
*Granny Smiths, Stayman's, or Pink Ladies are good choices. You want apples on the Tart side.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease or spray a 13x9 inch pan or two 8x8 pans. Make sure the oven rack is in the middle.
- Toss the apples together with vanilla and cinnamon then add them to the greased pan.
- Pour a little bit of water over the apples as evenly as possible. Make sure there is enough in the pan to help the apples cook down.
- Next mix flour, white sugar, brown sugar, gingersnap cookies, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Add the butter last.
- Knead the crumble with your hands until it is soft and falling into crumbs.
- Spread the crumble over the apples evenly
- Bake in the oven 30-40 min or until you see bubbling around the edges and the crumble is darker brown and crispy. Check the middle apples by using a toothpick and puncturing an apple slice. If it moves through easily then it is done. You should also see bubbling on the edge. Let stand for 10 to 15 min.
- If the crumble is not crisping up then turn on the broiler for high and adjust the oven rack to the highest setting. Place the apple crisp under it for up to 5 min checking it halfway through.