Recipe from Connie Veneracion: Tres Leches Cupcakes at Casa Veneracion
Note: While the directions are written mostly in the voice of Connie, I've applied some of my notes in there as well.
6 large eggs, separated
1/4 tsp. of baking soda
1/4 tsp. of salt
1 c. of white sugar
1/2 c. (or one half of a 225 g. block) of butter, melted and cooled
1 c. of all-purpose flour
3/4 c. of evaporated milk
1/2 c. of cream
3/4 c. of sweetened condensed milk
whipped cream and ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line muffin pans with waxed paper cups (available in baking supply stores).
- Sift the flour.
- With an electric mixer, over medium speed, beat the egg whites, baking soda and salt until soft peaks form (see stages in beating egg whites).
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the egg yolks and sugar. Continue mixing until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add the butter, folding it in using a spatula. Then, mix in the flour in three or four batches, mixing by hand (carefully, so as not to break the precious air bubbles that will add volume to the cupcakes) until the mixture is well blended.
- Pour the batter into the paper-lined muffin pans, filling them only a little halfway through.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the three milks in bowl.
- While the cupcakes are warm, poke holes in them all the way to the bottom. Several holes per cupcake using perhaps a bamboo skewer, about a dozen to a dozen and a half.
- Get your three milk mixture and brush it little by little on the tops of the cupcakes. Wait for the cupcakes to absorb the milk before brushing again. (Stacy: I used a spoon to scoop it and poured it on top and tried to evenly distribute it across all of the cupcakes.) Continue until it looks clear that the cupcakes can no longer absorb the liquid. Stop and let the cupcakes cool. Garnish with whipped cream and ground cinnamon on top of the cupcakes.
|All ready to go! Mmm.|