5.02.2012

Pa Jon (Korean Pancake)


One of the first dishes I fell in love with in Korea was Pa Jon. It loosely translates to a pancake however it is more of a savory than sweet pancake. I never fully mastered the technique while in Korea, so I am trying on my own now. However to make the traditional style it would be necessary have a special kind of flour. I didn't have the glutinous flour and I sincerely doubt that any of you at home do (unless its my friends from Korea in which case you guys might not want to read this recipe!). I have another recipe that I used and it uses ingredients that almost everyone has in their house already. It is from "The Korean Kitchen" book by Copland Marks.

It is eaten with a variety of dipping sauces and sides.

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup cold water. You want to create a thin consistency because the pancake should be thin.
4 scallions
6-8 sun dried tomatoes chopped fine
oil for frying

Directions
1. Mix Flour, Salt, and water to create a thin batter.
2. Add scallions and sun dried tomatoes and mix GENTLY.
3. Heat oil in an 8 inch skillet on medium heat.
4. Take the batter and pour enough in the pan so that it spreads thinly out. You will have to tilt the pan in a circular motion.
5. Cook the pancake until  you can't see any moving liquid on the top. Flip CAREFULLY.
6. Cook the other side for about 4 min or until the bottom is browned.
7. Put on a plate and serve.

What it should look like when you first pour it in.

As a caution you should wait to flip until you see no moving liquid on the top otherwise it will turn out like this:
Flippin' FAIL!


1 comment:

Translate this recipe!

Follow us by Email!