|Spaghetti and meatballs with caprese salad and a good piece of ciabatta bread|
In every Italian family there are different ways to make meatballs so the recipe can be adjusted to your tastes and desired consistency. I loosely borrowed from Lidia's Favorite Recipes book but had to adjust spices and such. I also believe in making your own sauce instead of heating up the jar sauces because it takes the same amount of time but adds more flavor and personality to your dishes. Don't be fooled, this sauce is easy and delicious!
Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce
|Marinara Sauce with Meatballs!|
1 tbls olive oil
1 to 2 medium onions diced
3-5 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbls rosemary
1 tbls thyme
1 tbls basil
1 tbls oregano
1. In a medium sauce pan heat the oil on medium heat then add the onions to the pan, stir, add some salt and pepper and let it cook for approx. 2 min.
2. Add the garlic and stir for 1 min then reduce heat to medium low, cover and let the onions sweat till translucent.
3. Add the can of crushed tomatoes, increase the heat to bring the tomatoes to a boil. Once boiling cover and reduce the heat to a simmer for 15-20 min.
4. Add the spices and a little bit more salt and pepper, cover and let simmer for another 5-10 min.
5. Once ready turn off the heat and either add your pasta or let it sit until you need it.
*I always add the spices in the last 10-15 min of cooking a sauce because if you add them before they will get lost in the sauce and there will be no additional flavor. This is something my mother taught me and her sauces were always the best and not just according to her family!
1 lb of ground beef has no more than 80 % lean. You want the fat it will help hold the meatballs together!
1 c Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup parmasean cheese
2 eggs beaten
4-5 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbls dried parsley
1 tsp of salt
fresh ground pepper
all purpose flour for dredging
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare large cookie sheet with sides with foil and spray lightly with non stick spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl crumble beef then sprinkle in bread crumbs, parmasean cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs and garlic. Mix with hands lightly until combined. Be careful to not over mix or the meat will become tough.
|Dredging through flour|
3. Take meat mixture and roll lightly into 1 1/2 inch balls. Dredge through the flour then set on prepared cookie sheet and repeat.
4. Once all the meat is gone place the sheet in the oven for 15-20 min until the outside is a nice golden brown, turning them halfway through. Start to boil the water for your pasta here.
|before going into the oven|
6. Once they have cooked, turn off heat and add some of the sauce to the prepared pasta.