2.27.2013

"Impossible" Quiche

Impossible Quiche with salad

I was going through my mother's cookbook and we were discussing easy dinner recipes for people with limited time and money. This recipe gets its name from the fact that it make's its own crust which should be "impossible". Originally this recipe dates back to the 70's when bisquick foods were all the rage and considered great family meals (think shake n' bake), I am sure my mother got it from the box.   Though I have no memory, apparently my brother and I would scarf this down believing it to be 'Cheese Pudding Pie' as we did not like eggs when we were younger. Mom was a master at tricking us into eating our veggies and proteins without us knowing any different.

I was thinking of easy simple recipes for my friend Erin who is studying at Duke this year and the types of foods she can make with her schedule. On her return home from Spring break, we made this the night before my fathers hip surgery. It was such a hit and I plan on making this again with variations. You can add onions, herbs, cooked spinach, or cooked broccoli to jazz it up, however be careful with the liquid. Adding Tomatoes, Asparagus and any other watery vegetable will mean you have to reduce the amount of milk that goes it or else it won't set right!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup skim milk
5 eggs
1 stick melted salted butter
1/2 cup lightly packed bisquick mix (doesn't have to be bisquick brand)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup grated cheese

Directions

before cooking
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Melt butter and let stand till it is room temperature or below. Can put butter in fridge for 5 min to speed this along.
  3. In a blender add: Bisquick, eggs, milk, butter, and salt. Blend until smooth and combined.
  4. Mixture into a 9 inch pie plate sprayed with non-stick spray. 
  5. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
  6. Place in oven for 30-40 min until the top is golden brown.
  7. Let stand for 10 min and serve.

Final result!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate this recipe!

Follow us by Email!