3.20.2013

Red Onion Bruschetta

Perfect Appetizer!

I love cooking for other people and by most accounts people seem to like what I make and I have not yet killed anyone with my food. All good signs. I try making a variety of foods from different areas around the world and challenging myself in techniques that aren't always comfortable to me like: deep frying or baking.

Yet one type of cuisine has eluded me. I am absolutely horrible at cooking vegetarian meals. Odd since a large portion of the people I know are vegetarians. By vegetarian I am not counting the pasta dishes like oilo, fettucine, or pesto. I also don't include salads in the mix because as my sister in law told me: "Think about it, you are out at a restaurant and all they have on their vegetarian menu is three kinds of salads or spaghetti; you get sick of them after a while". I am talking about inventive, fun, and tasty vegetarian dishes.


Ingredients

1 tbls olive oil
Cook out the balsamic liquid
1 red onion thickly sliced
salt
pepper
1 tbls balsamic vinegar
8 black olives (or whatever olives you have) chopped
1/4 tsp dried thyme (or any dried herb you like)
6-8 slices of rustic bread (such as baguette or ciabatta bread)
2 garlic cloves
6 oz of fresh mozzarella cheese in slices

Directions

1. Heat oil in a pan on med-low heat and add the red onions. Add a little salt and pepper
2. Cook stirring occasionally for 5-7 min or until softened.
3. Increase the heat and cook until the onions start to color.
4. Add Balsamic Vinegar and cook stirring constantly until the liquid evaporates.
5. Stir in the olives and thyme. Set aside covered on low heat till bread is ready.
Make sure garlic is rubbed on all sides of the bread!
6. Toast the bread on one side under a broiler.
7. Cut one garlic clove in half and rub garlic on the toasted side. Toast the other side and repeat with garlic.
8. Divide onion mixture evenly on each slice and place mozzarella on each.
9. Put back under the broiler and cook until melted and slightly brown. Take out and enjoy!
Before putting under the broiler.

Cooks Note: You will have left over onion mixture so I recommend using it as topping on eggs and toast the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate this recipe!

Follow us by Email!