To make these I used a rendition of Anne Burrell's Bacon Mac n' Cheese recipe from her book, Cook like a Rockstar. Basically you can use any Mac n' Cheese recipe you want so long as it is not the box stuff.
Mac n' Cheese Ingredients from MY favorite recipe.
- 1 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 12 strips of bacon (optional if you are a vegetarian!)
- 3 tbls unsalted butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups fat free half n half
- 4 cups cheddar jack
- 1 cup parmigian
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- Add hot sauce if needed.
- If you are adding bacon then cook the twelve strips of bacon then drain them on a towel. Reserve half the bacon grease and move to the next step
- Begin boiling a large pot of water for your noodles.
- If you are NOT adding bacon then add butter to medium pot on medium to medium high heat then add onion and reserved bacon fat with salt and cook for 8 to 10 min till onion is soft and aromatic.
- Add flour and stir frequently 4-5 min till the mixture looks like wet sand. You are creating a bechamel sauce here.
- Whisk in half n half and season with salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 8-10 min.
- Once your water is boiling add the pasta and cook for 1 min less than the directions say on the box. Drain and reserve.
- Once the onion bechamel is finished add your cheeses and some of your favorite hot sauce. Stir until the cheese is melted and mixed in well.
- Add Mustard, Bacon, and Pasta and mix well. Then transfer to a square baking dish and let cool. Freeze to help solidify the mac n cheese for cutting into bite sized pieces.
- Alternatively, you can eat it right here and now as it is amazing!
- 1 qt. (4 cups) of vegetable oil heated to 350 degrees
- *use an instant read thermometer if you don't have a fryer.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup panko
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1-2 eggs beaten
- Heat the oil to 350
- Prepare flour with pepper, paprika, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl
- Prepare panko with cayenne
- Cut the mac n' cheese into bite sized portions.
- Roll each piece in this order: Flour, Egg, Panko.
- Place bites in the heated oil for 2-3 min till golden brown
- drain on paper towels and enjoy!
|Will have a wonderful crust!|