This recipe is a hit! Stacy and I both made it for different people and everyone thought these were amazing! I have made them both with the recommended meyer lemons and regular lemons. I can honestly say that using either one will be great because there is no real difference. It is a bit of a process so whatever you can do a day in advanced would be great. I found this a while back from Anne Burrell and I made a few tweaks to the original. If you have the time and money to find Meyer Lemons, which are sweeter, yet more expensive, then go for it! However if you are kind of on a budget but want to make an impressive brunch meal then use regular lemons.
1 qt + 1 cup fresh strawberries topped and quartered
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbl sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp baking powder
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 heaping cup of part skim ricotta (can use any you like)
3/4 cup fat free half n half
1 large lemon zested and juiced (or 2 meyer lemons)
1/16 tsp (pinch) salt for egg whites.
|Finished strawberry syrup|
- Place sugar, orange juice and strawberries in a bowl and let it sit for at least 30 min or Overnight.
- Take a little less than half of the mixture and blend it with a stick blender or regular blender then return to the rest of the strawberries and set aside.*
|Pancake batter with the egg whites|
- Sift together Flour, Sugar, Salt, and Baking powder into a medium-large bowl. Make a small well for your wet ingredients.**
- Separate the egg yolks from whites by carefully cracking each egg in half and passing the yolk between the shells. Make sure a bowl is in place to catch the egg whites and the pinch of salt. **
- Put yolks in the little well you created with the dry ingredients.
- Add ricotta, lemon juice, lemon zest and milk then mix with the dry until just combined. **
- Using a whisk or electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Then fold in the whites with the batter gently. It will make your batter look double in size.***
- Heat a large skillet and make sure it is buttered or greased slightly to prevent sticking. A good medium to medium-low flame is best here.
- Using a ladle, and place nice dollops in the pan then wait bubbles to reach the surface of the pancakes before you flip them. Repeat until all are made.
- Serve with the strawberry syrup and a mimosa or favorite drink!
* Make the syrup a day in advance so you don't have so much to do in the morning of.
**Can also sift the dry ingredients, separate the yolks and mix the wet ingredients in advance so that you can easily assemble in the morning.
***If you make this in the summer and it is humid out, place your bowl and whisk in the freezer for a few moments to help stiffen the egg whites. Otherwise you will most likely get soft peaks instead of stiff ones.