4.20.2014

Chocolate Toffee Scones

These are soft and moist the way they should be!


Greetings!

It has been a while and lately I have been more into baking than cooking. That is not to say I haven't cooked this whole time but I seem to be in a rut. I was bored one day and decided I needed to learn how to make scones. Not that I was a big scone eater before, and to be honest I can't say why this desire popped up but here I was craving a good scone recipe.

I searched high and low for one that was easy and looked promising. I came across the site Pastry Affair and thought this was it! Not a lot of extra ingredients and I would be able to switch out the chocolate toffee and put in bacon and cheese if I wanted too. The key to this recipe is moisture, and a little kneading. Once you get it down, you can play around with it and see what flavor combinations you enjoy. I proceeded to leave out the chocolate glaze because it would be too sweet for me, however if you follow the link you can add it if you want!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tbls sugar
  • 1 tbls baking powder
  • Pinch of table salt
  • 6 tbls COLD butter cubed
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 
    • Depending on the time of year and moisture of your kitchen you may need to add 1-2 tbls of heavy cream more.
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup chocolate covered toffee bits
    • If you cant find it like me, 4 frozen Hershey Heath bars smashed in a bag.
    • Or 3/4 cup toffee bits and 1/4-1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Place Parchment paper on a cookie sheet and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together (with a whisk or fork) Flour, sugar, and baking powder.
  4. Using a Pastry Blender (or large fork) cut in the cubed butter until the mixture looks like coarse sand.
  5. In a medium bowl, beat egg slightly then add the heavy cream and beat until fully blended. Add to the sand mixture and with a wooden spoon mix.
    1. If the mixture looks to dry this is the time to add 1-2 tbls of heavy cream. Add 1 and if it needs more add the 2nd. No more than this though 
  6. Knead the mixture (lightly) by hand until all moisture is incorporated (1-2 min and NO MORE).
    1. The original doesn't call for it but I find that it works best to mix it more by hand. For this you don't want to over do it as it will not rise. 
  7. On a lightly floured surface pat or use a rolling pin to get a even 1-2 inch thick rectangle.
  8. Cut the dough, using a knife or pastry mold cutter until you get 8-12 triangles.
  9. Bake in oven for 20-25 min or until lightly golden brown on top.
  10. Eat with tea or coffee!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate this recipe!

Follow us by Email!