The tradition of the one skillet meal is back. I remember in my youth that the most popular thing for moms to do was to make a whole meal in one pot. In particular the crockpot which is such and awesome invention.
I was given this recipe by my mom who got it from another site. The first time I made this, I used brown rice and the product meant the chicken was good but the rice was hard to cook through all the way. The second time around I made it with white rice and the result was SO much better. It is a perfect week night meal. Make a salad and you are good to go!
|This is all you need....soooo easy!|
- Chicken Marinade-
- 5 Chicken Thighs
- 1-2 Lemons; zest + 4 tbls lemon juice
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
Put all ingredients in a bag and marinate for 1 hour at least but preferably overnight.
- 1 1/2 tbls olive oil, separated
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c water
- 1 tbls dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 350
- Remove chicken from marinade, but reserve the marinade
- heat 1/2 tbls olive oil in a deep 10' or larger, oven proof pan over medium high heat. heat till the oil Shimmers
- Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and cook until golden brown then turn over to cook the underside until golden brown.
- Remove Chicken and set aside
- Pour off fat and wipe the pan.
- Heat 1 tbls olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Heat till the oil shimmers
- Add onion and saute for a few min until translucent.
- Add the remaining rice ingredients and reserved marinade
- Let the liquid come to a simmer. Add chicken on top then place lid over pan and put in the oven for 35 min.
- Remove Lid from pan and bake for an additional 10 min.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 min before serving.