|healthy and filling!|
Anyways this is another creation from Kitchen Stories app, but with my own variations. One of the things I love about this app is how easy and simple the recipes are. I found this energy salad from there and thought, PERFECT! I can finally start my health kick this week with a salad that won't leave me wanting more.
This recipe can be made vegan if you so choose by substituting broth for water but I find that quinoa needs extra help in getting the flavors just right.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 10 cups of spinach
- 1 tbls raisins or crasins
- 1/4 cashews or peanuts
- 3 tsp stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbls balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbls olive oil
- Rinse quinoa under water and add to saucepan with salted water. Bring to a boil. Then, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for approx. 15 min. until tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for approx. 5 min.
- Peel carrots. Cut sweet potato, apple, and carrots into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large frying pan heat 1 tsp of coconut oil, sauté sweet potato over medium-high heat for approx. 6 – 10 min. until golden brown and tender.
- Add carrots and sauté for approx. 3 – 5 min.
- You may need to add more coconut oil at this point, it depends on your pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, apple, carrot, spinach, raisins, and cashews. Mix well to combine.
- Whisk together mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Drizzle 1-2 tsp over entire salad then reserve the rest for others to add as they feel.