|Perfect for Winter!|
Well it is 2016. It has been five years since Stacy and I debuted this blog, we mostly did it to keep track of recipes that we loved and wanted to share with one another. Over the years our posts have been few and far in between but the cooking has never stopped.
So I open the new year with a cliche and hope. As usual I have eaten my way into a bigger pants size. So I now have to start my year by militantly watching my calories, fat content and sodium....ah to have a slowing metabolism.
I found a wonderful Congee recipe and have adjusted it to my tastes and am now bringing it to you! Congee roughly means 'rice porridge' and is very popular in Asian cuisine. Many are high in fat and salt content which is what makes it so popular.
This recipe has all the skin and most of the fat removed. However you want to have the bone in there to impart flavor into the water. You can add any other stew or soup veggies to the mix if you like.
Have a healthy and prosperous 2016...I will now go contemplate about going to the gym.
1 half chicken with bone in but skin and most of the fat removed.
3-4 carrots peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1-2 stalks of green onions sliced or one half a white onion thinly sliced
2-3 sprigs of cilantro
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp of white wine
1 scant tsp of sugar
1 scant tbsp of kosher salt
1 tbls black pepper
2/3 cup long grain rice
3 cups of fresh spinach
3 3/4 cup water + 3/4 cup later
- Add 3 3/4 cups of water, wine, carrots, onion, garlic powder, sugar, cilantro, salt and pepper, and the skinless chicken half in a 3-5 quart pot.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil and then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 min.
- After 20 min remove the chicken from the pot and add the rice. add the remaining 3/4 c water and Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15-20 min.
- Take the cooked chicken and shred it off the bone. If not everything is cooked all the way through that is fine.
- Once the rice is done add the chicken and spinach then bring back to a boil and then simmer for 10 min more.
- Serve and enjoy!